This is some great breakfast conversation right here
Waffles vs. pancakes. The most epic breakfast debate of all-time.
I, being an empathetic and understanding creature, am able to observe the merits of both sides of this dispute with no bias or leniency to either one. The grid-emblazoned concoctions are just as good as the flat and cushiony discs, plus they each pair equally well with peanut butter, so its a win-win no matter how you slice it.
Both have such notable reasons for why they reign supreme as the leader in breakfast carbs (to be clear, cereal was never a contender in this contest, and we’re just going to leave French-toast out of it completely), which is why I took it upon myself to outline them in this little post right here.
First, we have the waffles.
- Undeniably thicker and fluffier
- Little pockets for condiments and toppings to hide in
- Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside
- Super cute to look at and very photogenic (Cuz we all know this is an important factor)
- Don’t stack very well
- Less syrup absorbency
- Harder to cut and fit in your mouth
- Special cooking contraption needed to produce them
Now for the pancakes aka flap jacks aka hot cakes.
- Dense and cake-like
- Easy to stack and layer toppings and condiment
- Absorbs syrup like a Bounty paper towel
- Ultimate control over size and shape
- Higher fail-rate when cooking
- A more hands-on approach needed in the cooking process to ensure a satisfactory outcome
- Inconsistent quality
- Require a large amount of condiments/topping in order to be waffle-level of photogenic
Now, as I mentioned before, I have zero bias toward either side in this whole thing, so the result of this commentary is inconclusive. However, I highly suggest you bring this topic up at your next breakfast/brunch/[insert any meal here] get together. Though I do caution that this kind of discussion can get heated quickly. Feel free to screenshot and save this list of pros and cons in your metaphorical back-pocket in-case a debate on this matter arises.
If you have your own reasons for why pancakes or waffles is superior, please let me know in the comment section. I would love to waste more time thinking about this topic, and no, I’m not being sarcastic when I say that.
Happy breakfasting friends!